Saturday, November 27, 2010

Imaginary Friend: a piece of my childhood psychology (an Adlerian perspective)




My childhood was lonely; I was a lonely child. I don’t really know why it was, but I think it occurred because my character tended to be superior. However, I tended to dominate my sociality. I tended to dominate my peer groups. It had no problem with friends who have similar age range to me, but it became a problem toward number of friends who are elder than me. They thought I would be dangerous person toward their domination in such peer group; therefore, they used to insult and bother me when I gathered to the group. Their behaviors very distressed me. Although I couldn’t remember how often, how many and how numerous were it, but I can even feel it and, surely, It really hurt my heart.

What I used to do then, I isolated myself from my social or peer groups. Yet, I enjoyed being alone. I played my toys, made reliefs using sand and clay, watched TV alone. In my loneliness, as the matter of fact, I realized that I created an imaginary friend in order to company me within my days. The name of my imaginary friend is Batuk. I realized I gave it name to him and I don’t even know how I got it name. It just came to my mind, I gave it to him then he smile to me. Moreover, I simply realized that Batuk wasn’t real; he didn’t exist even though his appearance was so real, so obvious for me. It was just my imagination but I enjoyed when I had a play with him. In addition, I also created some imaginary friends soon after I created Batuk.

I don’t know why I added more imaginary friends. Maybe it caused by feeling that I really enjoy play with someone who never insults me, and always knows what I want. They used to company and entertain me anytime and anywhere I want. They kept me away for being lonely. I used to play something while imagine Batuk sitting next to me, even so, the other imaginary friends also play surrounding me and batuk. Actually, it was just my imagination and I was a loner who always lonely and did something alone. I forget how many imaginary friends I had created besides Batuk.

Thus, in my earlier social pattern age, I had a thought: If I involved in a group, I always tended to dominate it, but if I can’t dominate, it’d be better if I out of that group than become a follower within. The imaginary friend’s episode was emerged in my earlier life (when I was three years old).

My imaginary friends include batuk were gradually disappeared from my consciousness when I entered kindergarten. It is easy why they were gone; because I had new friends in my kindergarten. I felt joyful when I played with my kindergarten friend; hence, my willingness for having an ideal sociality through my imagination has completely gone.

For me, it’s easy to get superiority legitimation in school such as kindergarten and elementary school: get higher academic scores and be the top three pupils’/students’ rank. If I get those prestigious ranks, other students will give me a hood, and admit me as the clever student (this is my superiority complex pattern when I was in kindergarten and earlier time at elementary school). From those superiority complex experiences, I became more confident to join in any peer group and my big family.

I lately become aware that the profound character of mine tends to be dominance and won’t to be inferior.



3 comments:

Ardhi Widjaya & Co said...

well... umm... i confess in advance that i'm still taking a part in imaginary friend story. jadi ketika kamu ngasi gambar ilustrasi org dewasa, it defines me... Daya analogiku semakin kuat ketika aku piawai mengontrol prgaulanku dengan teman imajinasiku yg justru aku temukan ktika klas 1 SMA (bukan waktu anak2). Dialah yg bawa prkembangan signifikan buat aku dududu... PS: follow blog-ku ya...

Abdul Haris Fitrianto. said...

siiip.. temanku ada juga yang punya teman imaji pas duduk di nagku kuliah bro..
anyway, i doesn't even matter if you can distinguish reality or imaginary friend as well.. hehhe..
udah tk follow khan?

Anonymous said...

I think my imaginary friend are Superman and Khidir at was, haha...